Monday, October 22, 2007

And this little piggy went Wii Wii Wii all the way home...



So here's a really, really funny story...

For the past 5 months Carolyn and I have wanted a Nintendo Wii. We probably have gone into Best Buy and Circuit City about 25 times checking to see if they had any new shipments. And every time, the answer was "no, check back in a week or two and we may have some coming in".

So for her birthday, which is on October 27, I figured it would be a really cool gift If I could manage to find one. Well... this
Saturday I was able to find one at Circuit City. I just got lucky with timing since they had just received a shipment the day before. What's funny is they really didn't want to tell me they had them. I actually played dumb in speaking to one of the sales guys and I said, I heard you just got a shipment in... he looked back at me like "how do yo know we just got a shipment in?". He directed me to the store manager, who had the same look on his face, but was very nice and said he could get me one which was in the wharehouse. So I got my Wii and I was really excited to surprise Carolyn for her birthday.

So.. I'm having a conversation with Carolyn in the car on Sunday and she tells me how excited I'm going to be for my birthday this year. We're still finalizing dinner plans, so she tells me that when I get my present I may want to spend some time with it later that night... so we opt for a dinner on another night. We're going to Japonais, but that's not important... back to the story. So I'm thinking about what she means by the comment that "I'll want to spent time with the gift" and I'm thinking there's no way she was able to find a Wii. So now we're starting to suspect each other is up to something for the rest of the day... and then on Sunday night, when I was at the Bruce Springsteen concert, she found an email when she opened up my computer that said Nintendo Wii in the subject line (this was someone on craigslist that I was emailing back and forth on) [For the record, I'm not 100% she wasn't snooping around, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt.]

Earlier today at work we talk to each other and both admit that we both think something funny has happened, but we will not say what has happened, since we're both mad that we thought we had the perfect gift for each another. She calls me at the end of the day and says she wants to grab a bite at Bijan's. I get there around 6pm and she give's me a card and says happy birthday. She then takes out a package from under the table an it's a Nintendo Wii. We both start laughing and start to tell the whole story of how we ended up finding one. Carolyn ended up getting hers on ebay about a week ago and had it shipped to my parents condo.

We unpacked one of the Wiis tonight and played for about 45 minutes. It was really fun and well worth the wait.

No comments: